First Pentecostal Church of Westlake
1208 Sampson Street
Westlake La 70669
Copyright 2018 First Pentecostal Church
Rev. Mark R. Stanton is a seasoned teacher, preacher, and pastor having served in the Louisiana and Texas areas for over 40 years. Bro. Stanton was called of God when he was 16 years old, and began his ministry in 1975. Bro. Stanton and his wife, Karen, evangelized from 1979 until June of 1982, when they accepted the pastorate position in Brownsville, Texas. The Stanton’s remained in Brownsville for 17 ½ years where Bro. Stanton served as a presbyter in the Texas District, for 9 years.
In December of 1999, Bro. & Sis. Stanton accepted the pastorate position in Westlake, LA. Bro. Stanton serves as a presbyter in the Louisiana District. They have two children, Mark and Melanie; their spouses, Loren and Sam; and three grandchildren, Avery, Hudson and Rand.
The Stanton’s have been steadfast in their commitment to God in an ever-changing world. They continue to reach for the lost, in addition to serving their community, and church family.
First Pentecostal Church of Westlake was birthed from an old-fashioned outdoor revival in 1916, led by Rev. Robert LaFleur, on the corner of Old Spanish Trail and Trousdale Road. It was here that charter members purchased one acre of land, and built a small wood-frame building lighted with gasoline lanterns, and heated with a stovepipe wood heater in the center of the room.
Sunday School was first organized in 1927. Throughout 1916-1927, the serving pastors were Rev. Joseph Frederick, Rev. Tommy Martin, and Rev. Stroud.
Several members were added to the church in 1930, after a revival held on Miller Avenue. Rev. A. Fuselier almost single-handedly constructed a wood-frame building on a lot near Calcasieu River in 1934. Shortly thereafter in 1939, the first youth program was organized.
Thenceforth in 1947, Rev. Melvin Dupriest sold the property near the river to the state for the construction of the I-10 Bridge right-of-way. In turn, the Pentecostals purchased a lot on Cedar Street, and constructed a small sanctuary and four-room wood-frame parsonage.
Bro. J.T. Pugh served as pastor from 1949-1950. During this time, he held a tent revival that resulted in additions to the membership.
Rev. Daniel Guillory began a fifteen-year term as pastor in late 1950. During his tenure of service, several building programs were completed, and the church more than doubled in membership.